Kampong Talang - where it all begins...

"There is only one thing in life worse than being talked about, and that is not being talked about" - Oscar Wilde

Sunday, September 14, 2008

Random Ranting - Fasting

It is approaching 5:00 am. I am still sitting on the couch, staring at the muted teley, thinking about the lazy Sunday I am planning to have. I have absolutely nothing on my mind except that I need to be in town/city by 5:00 pm to meet Liam and to break my fast with him. It is really funny when I told Liam that I still have a number of days before I am completely done with my duty.


It is fascinating to note, this weekend is all about being hosted by friends of different beliefs for iftar. It started off with Mark on Friday night - it was superb. He prepared tortilla & salad for dinner. It was rather funny when the first thing he offered me was water/juice. He was wrecked from walking. And he assumed, I was in the same state. And I explained to him, not even a sip of water that I could take during the course of completing it. At that very moment, I knew that he had added new knowledge to concept of fasting that I am doing. He was even amazed with my 'strength' to watch Planet Food on the cable TV while observing my fasting. To me, that is not big deal!

Last night, Mike and Susan invited me for dinner or iftar at their house in Leixlip. It was my first time getting to know Susan and the kids - lovely kids - Alexander, and Alyana - and also the dog, Molly. It was fantastic time that we had. They asked questions on fasting and the whole concept and they connected it to Lent etc. I can see that they are improving their knowledge about fasting in Islam and the rationale behind it. Within my limited knowledge within this domain, I attempted to answer their curiosities. It was so good to have such dinner - we talked, and talked and talked. I gave Susan a batik sarong and she immediately fell in love with it. In the same breath that I suggested that batik can be used as table cloth, she was so keen to wear it as shawl. Well I am not sure now, the fact that I have told her some people use it as table cloth :)

Tomorrow, is Liam's turn. If the sun is out, I will try to go out early - shopping for some stuff that emak has asked for. That is after I refuel the car. Oh my, yes you heard me right - thank God I was not stranded on the motorway (M50) when the car fuel was down to the last few drops. No petrol stations were open at that early hours of 11.00 pm (on the way back from Mike's). I promise I will not be procrastinating when it comes to refuelling the machine. Lesson learned! (I had to turn the radio off to calm myself down, "Yes Zul, you can make it"! That was the mantra, played again and again in my head)

OK now, I am beginning to sense that the do-go-to-bed-now-or-else headache has started to blanket my head. So I must dash off real soon. I am not sure what this entry was going to be - but there you go. Uh, I don't really care. I am ready to retire for the night.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home