Kampong Talang - where it all begins...

"There is only one thing in life worse than being talked about, and that is not being talked about" - Oscar Wilde

Monday, July 03, 2006

Oxford - 17th June 2006


When I was in the UK before (1991-1996), I wanted to go to Oxford - to check out the town and what's so great about that University town. But I did not manage to. I can't remember why. Now that I am here again, I made a point to go there. Me and two friends took the X5 bus service, that costed us 5.50 for a day return (uh I just love being a student when there are numerous discounts and concessions).


Oxford, in many ways, is similar to Cambridge - after all Cambridge was set up by some students who ran away from Oxford (I heard they were pissed of something and broke the rules and ran off to Cambridge). Well, enough about that. In general I love that place, albeit being too big (bigger than Cambridge town itself). After wondering for a few hours, we sat in a pub and enjoyed out thirst-quenching mock-tails. So, the trip was brief but managed to unearth the curiousities that I have had for years about this land of knowledge and great brains.


But all in all, I still prefer Cambridge. The size being a small city gives that unrivalled personalisation to the people who live in Cambridge which are largely students and you can easily fall in love with the place. Things are so within reach and so personalised. The small cafes are almost at every corner, there is always a place for you to unwind (except the pubs, which are traditionally English and can be intimidating for people are not into them, BUT, alternatives are plentiful).


However, I do not like the roads being too narrow, but that is obvious signs of serious and successful conservation works done by British government under the heritage protection. Well, I am not gonna get into that and enough said... I prefer Cambridge to Oxford.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home